Every Hero Has a Story Summer Reading Program 2015
Every Hero Has a Story is this year’s summer reading theme, and families will find special programs, stories, music, and crafts centered around heroes in books. The collaborative reading program encourages children and teens to continue reading over the summer months.
For teens and adults, the libraries will have summer reading programs around the themes:
Escape the Ordinary (Adults)
Each library will have special programs and fun reading fun activities with prizes.
Please contact your local library to register and pick up a summer reading folder to complete. Prizes will be awarded to children who complete the folder.
Registration Begins JUNE 8 at most libraries and JUNE 15 at Myerstown Community and Palmyra Public Libraries.
Family and Special Programs by Library:
Annville Free Library
216 E. Main St., Annville, PA 17003 717-867-1802 www.lclibs.org/annville
June 8 – Registration Begins: Pick up summer reading folders
- June 15 at 2 pm. Ran’d Shine Magic and Illusion
- June 22 at 2 pm. Don Dougherty, Storyteller – Super Hero Adventure Story
- June 29 at 2 pm. Bravura Brass Quintet – Every Hero Has a Song
- July 6 at 2 pm. Ryan (the bug man) Bridge – Bug Heroes and Villains
- July 13 at 2 pm. Sciencetellers – super heroes storytelling, science and comedy
- July 20 at 2 pm. The DKers high-energy juggling duo
- July 27 at 2 pm. Matthew Dodd – American Heroes in Songs & Stories
- Aug 3 at 2 pm. Celebration Sensation – for all who complete the summer folder
Unmask! (Grades 4-9) Tuesdays at 2pm For grades 4-9 with required registration.
- June 16. Animal Heroes Search & Rescue presented by 911 Rapid Response
- June 23. Paul Merklein, cartoonist – How to Draw Super Heroes
- June 30. Damien Drago presents Heroes of the Underground Railroad
- July 7. Investigations in Science: Forensic Clues. Unmask clues that scientists use to solve crime
- July 14. Creative Heroes with Splat Studio. Fee and project TBA. Preregistration required
- July 20. Fitness Heroes with DKers Juggling Duo (location TBA) & Skill Toys workshop following show
- July 28. Nature Heroes. Project and location TBA
- Aug. 4. Super Party for all those completing the summer folder
Lebanon Community Library:
125 N. 7th Street, Lebanon, PA 717-273-7624 www.lclibs.org/lebanon
June 8 – Registration Begins: Pick up summer reading folders
- June 16 at 10:30am. Puppets! Laugh along with stories and songs from Marian and Friends
- June 23 at 6:30pm. Animal Heroes. Meet some animals with extreme abilities from ZooAmerica
- June 23 at 2pm. Straight to the Moon. What’s the moon made of? Could you go there? Presented by Lancaster County Parks
- June 30 at 10:30am. Ran’d Shine Magic and Illusion
- July 8 at 2pm. Super Forces of Nature. Learn about Earth’s super powers with some experiments
- July 14 at 10:30am. Hangin’ Out with Heroes at the Library. Sing along with musical duo Two of a Kind
- July 21 at 10:30am. Herpetology Heroes. What do reptiles and superheroes have in common? Find out from Jesse Rothaker and some of his slithery and scaly creatures!
Matthews Public Library:
102 W. Main Street, Fredericksburg 717-865-5523 www.lclibs.org/matthews
June 8 Registration Begins: Pick up summer reading folders
All programs are free and open to all ages! Tuesdays at 2 pm.
- June 23 at 2pm. Mystic Drumz presents The Legend of Marshmallow Island, a world music safari adventure
- June 30 at 2pm. Ran’d Shine Magic and Illusion
- July 7 at 2pm. Ryan “the Bug Man” Bridge presents Bug Heroes and Villains
- July 14 at 2pm. Visit Storyland to help solve a mysterious riddle in Cinderella’s Fairy Godmother, a fun twist on a classic fairy tale, presented by Miss Kitty Jones
- July 21 at 2pm. Herpetology Heroes. What do reptiles and superheroes have in common? Find out from Jesse Rothaker and some of his slithery and scaly creatures!
- July 28 at 2pm. Animal Heroes. Meet some animals with extreme abilities from ZooAmerica
- August 4 at 2pm. Silly Joe Sings! High-energy rocker entertains with a guitar and kazoo
- Aug 11 at 2pm. Ventriloquist Tom Crowl gets lots of laughs with his cast of characters
Myerstown Community Library
199 N. College Street, Myerstown 717-866-2800 www.lclibs.org/myerstown
Summer reading program begins June 15. The following special programs will be held Wednesdays at 6 pm for participants.
- June 15. Registration begins. Pick up summer reading folders.
- June 24 at 6pm. Eddie Ray, Magician
- July 1 at 6pm. Hometown Heroes presented by Middle Creek Search and Rescue
- July 8 at 6pm. Super Heroes of Nature presented by Lancaster County Parks
- July 15 at 6pm. Kit’s Interactive Theater
- July 22 at 6pm. Animal Heroes presented by Lancaster County Parks
- July 29 at 6pm. Who’s a Super Hero???
- Aug 1. Final day – turn in reading logs!
- August 5 at 6 pm. Hero Party for everyone who has completed the program
Palmyra Public Library
50 Landings Drive Annville, PA 717-838-1347 www.lclibs.org/palmyra
All Monday family programs will be held at Palmyra Grace Brethren Church at 799 Airport Road Palmyra, across the street from our new library in Flightpath Park!
Every Hero Has a Story Monday morning programs at 11am.
June 8 Registration begins at 10am. Pick up summer reading folders
- June 15 11am Ran’d Shine Magic & Illusion
- June 22 11am Don Dougherty, Storyteller – Super Hero Adventure Story
- June 29 11am Bravura Brass Quintet – Every Hero Has a Song
- July 6 11am Ryan “the Bug Man” Bridge presents Bug Heroes and Villains
- July 13 11am Sciencetellers – Super Heroes storytelling, science and comedy
- July 20 11 am The DKers, high-energy juggling duo
Unmask! Tuesday evenings 6:30pm
For grades 5-9, free with required registration.
- June 23 Paul Merklein, cartoonist – How to Draw Super Heroes
- June 30 Super Hero Shirts – create your own hero shirt
- July 7 Investigations in Science: Forensic Clues. Unmask clues that scientists use to solve crime
- July 14 Chopped! Cooking Competition
Richland Community Library
111 E. Main Street, Richland, PA 717-866-4939 www.lclibs.org/richland
Registration begins June 8. Pick up summer reading folders. Family programs are Thursdays at 11:15am.
- June 18 11:15am Animal Heroes presented by Lancaster County Parks
- June 25 11:15am Damien Drago presents Heroes of the Underground Railroad
- July 2 11:15am Who’s Your Super Hero? Bring your hero to the library for lunch!
- July 9 11:15am Heroes in Storybooks
- July 16 11:15am Heroes in History
- July 23 11:15am Hero Party